It’s wonderful spending time with your significant other or someone you’re dating. What about a new date? That can also be wonderful, as well as nerve-wracking coupled with intrigue. You want to show them that you care by showering them with affection, but to do so it doesn’t always have to cost an arm and a leg. Those times can be marked for special occasions. There are many things the two of you can do together that are fulfilling and on the cheap.
Here are a few pointers on how to have a good rewarding date on the cheap:
1. Go out and enjoy the fresh air. You can can go to a park or a nice quiet lake or anywhere that includes a beautiful nature backdrop to help you relax and focus on one another. There are no electronic distractions and there’s a chance to be in tune with the vibe of each others company.
2. You can help your community and the environment by going out and volunteering. For example, you can do a clean up in your local neighborhood, attend a beach cleanup, give back at a soup kitchen, visit rescue animals, plant trees, etc. There are so many ways that you can go and have a good time and give back at the same time. You can also see your partner in action, which says a lot about them.
3. Attend a local art exhibit or have a creative DIY date of arts and crafts. Try doing a canvas painting, finger-painting, a pottery session, or photography adventure. You can also visit a free or low-cost museum. Small-town museums often have low admission rates while large, city institutions often have free or pay what you wish/donate hours.
4. Watch movies. After a long day, catching a film or renting a movie with popcorn and cuddles is a great cure. This is a way to get to know what kinds of movies your partner is interested in, and discover if you two have similar movie favorites. You can also hold a movie marathon and invite a few other couples to form a fun group date. Just don’t start out by saying “netflix and chill” when suggesting this idea to your partner/date, because we all know what that means. You’re not that guy or girl are you?
5. Grab a ball and do something active like play basketball, tennis, racquetball, etc. If you’re an athlete you might like a super physical workout together (get your mind out of the gutter). Sports like these can help build confidence and the support of your partner. This might be your comfort zone, and hopefully you can make it theirs too.
6. For a more relaxing mental, emotional, and/or physical workout you can do some yoga or a little meditation session. If throwing balls around impresses you, then you’ll be even more impressed if your partner can hold downward dog for 10 breaths or simply sit and breathe for 15 min.
7. Have a picnic, which is always ideal and romantic. Whether it’s inside or outside it’s always a great way to get to know one another. To spice up your picnic you can browse for items at a local farmer’s market first. And after you can pop by a flea market, or before if you’re into that kind of incredibly random pre-gaming.
8. When the weather is nice and the fresh air is calling you, take your puppies or cats out on a nice long walk. It may be important for you to find a love interest that feels the same way about their cherished companions. What better way to spend a date with a new suitor than to both bring your sidekicks along to join in on the fun? Think about it, who knows you better than your pet? Furbabies need love too.
9. Indulge in some ice cream. It’s a classic date idea that will never go out of style. Who doesn’t want more of a little one-on-one time and a little something sweet?
10. Stay in on a cold day or night and play cards or board games. It can be just the two of you, or you can make it into a couple’s game night. Alternatively, you could stay in and compare your favorite musical jams. Who said that sitting in your room and listening to music died in middle school? Music brings people together and you can see how unique your date’s tastes are, or have a personal dance party to Britney…who is judging really?
We hope you’ll be able to utilize some of these date ideas and bask in the joy of doing healthy, fun, and fulfilling things with your date and/or love on the cheap. Report back and give us your stories. We’d love to live vicariously through you.