Here’s an important life lesson: No matter how tough you think your life is, there is always someone who has to face challenges that are even tougher than yours.
There are many people out there that are far less fortunate and would give just about anything to enjoy the holidays like you do, but lack the resources – getting proper meals, a roof over their head, education for themselves or their little ones, food for their pets, etc. There are countless innocent animals that don’t know if they will see another day. Mother Earth needs your attention as well, and we need to work together to keep (her) beautiful and abundant.
When you give back, you have to accept that you’re doing the act selflessly and not expecting anything in return. This can be challenging for us as a society that believes that we should be recognized for all that we do. However when you really give from the heart, and realize you’ve made a significant change in the life of another, there is no replacement for that feeling. It can help fill a void like no other, and give your life meaning. There is an ROI even if it’s not obvious right away.
Now you can decide, do I want to do the act of service alone, with friends, or with a date? There is much value in any form, of course, but it’s even more fun to take action with another, hence the reason we created Neqtr. You’ll see that when you share this experience you’ll get a sense of your friend’s character much more than over a drink. Plus, if there is no chemistry, even a “bad” date will feel good.
All in all, actions speak louder than words. Will you be part of the problem or part of the solution?
Below is a list of ways that you can give back, starting today:
- Build a home with Habitat For Humanity in your city.
- Host a game night for teens in a foster-care group.
- Serve a meal at a homeless shelter.
- Clean up a beach — and then spend time at the pier!
- Read stories to the elderly at the hospital, or volunteer with the elderly at a nursing home and listen to their stories.
- Plant a tree in your community.
- Donate money to your favorite non-profit, (i.e. $25 to Feeding America can feed a family of 3).
- Put together a care package for a soldier overseas.
- Donate shoes, clothes, toys (unused items lying around the house or taking up space) to families in need.
- Teach a class using your specialty (writing, coding, etc.).
- Form a neighborhood watch to take action of domestic violence, rape, and other forms of abuse happening near you.
- Hold a clothing or food drive for a local shelter.
- Volunteer your time for a local pet shelter, cleaning cages, petting the animals, taking them for walks.
- Foster an animal.
- Become a role model for a child that needs one.
- Donate Blood.
- Spread awareness and rally others for causes you deeply believe in – you can also throw a local benefit event to raise funds.
- Give a warm coat or blanket to a homeless person.
- Volunteer for a women’s shelter, and help them feel safe & supported.
- Help children read at local libraries or story tents (i.e. Traveling Stories)
- Donate the left over food from your office’s catered meals to a local shelter.
- Get your company, organization, or student group involved in volunteering and/or donating funds.
These ideas are just skimming the surface, we have so many more. There are sooo many other things you can do. For example, you can do any of these Random Acts of Kindness (RAKs), any of these ways to Pay It Forward, and of course there are tons of ways to take part in charitable giving.
Now go out there and do something positive for the community, and put a smile on someone’s face. We’ve partnered up with 40+ non-profits to aid in date ideas within the app, check them out in the “Dates” tab. Report back if you have any other ideas you’d like to contribute to our calendar.
Love & Kindness,