By: Alexia Garcia, Neqtr Intern
I know what you’re thinking. It can’t be YOUR fault that dating is so hard. But, while it may not be all your fault you are partially to blame. Why? Because dating is a two-way street (or more than two if that’s what you’re into. I’m not judging.).
Here are six things you may be doing wrong and how to correct them:
- You’re looking in all the wrong places! – Although we live in a world where dating through apps is the norm, the ones you’re using may not be for you. Don’t get me wrong, dating apps are great when used for their purpose but many of them produce casual relationships that aren’t built to last. Instead, you may want to switch up your strategy and do some research. Find apps that showcase who people are rather than what they look like ( *coughs* the Neqtr app). Or, stop looking and focus your energy into things that you’re passionate about and the right person could come along. After all, they say the energy you put into the world is what you will get back from it.
- You’re trying too hard – For all of you that are constantly dating, I’m talking to you! Stop what you’re doing and reevaluate yourself. Ask yourself what you want in a partner and also ask yourself what you need in a partner. These two things are extraordinarily different and can drastically change your perspective on your dating life and the people you attract. Make a list and write these things down. You won’t regret it.
- You’re not trying hard enough – Yes, I know this is confusing but bear with me. Sitting at home watching The Bachelor and dreaming of your soulmate to knock on your door IS NOT realistic. Go out and explore.
- You’re going on dates – Ok, yes this one is weird. But, did it ever occur to you that the reason dating isn’t working for you is because you’re on a date? Maybe it’s too awkward of a setting for you, or maybe you actually just find dates too uncomfortable to enjoy. Try going to singles socials instead. Not only does this give you soooooo many options, but it also gives you the opportunity to meet people in a low-pressure environment. The Neqtr app is starting to add singles socials to their calandar that benefit charity. You can learn more here.
- You only date your “type” – Did you know that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result? Well that’s you. You’re overlooking red flags and making the same choices time and time again. By narrowing down your selection of people, you could be missing out on something amazing. The world is a big place. Get out of your bubble and explore what it has to offer.
- You overthink – Let loose a little. Don’t disregard someone based on something small. I’m not saying to avoid red flags, but no one is perfect, not even you. So, don’t expect others to be.
Now go forth and conquer your dating life!